Thursday, October 22, 2009

Autumn Down by the River


I love being outside. I love to hike and bike, but one always gives way to the other as there never seems to be enough time to do both. I especially love hiking in the fall when the temperatures are cool, and the fallen leaves make that crispy crunch sound under your feet. Until today I didn’t know I could get the hiking experience I relish combined with the biking high I crave.

I was in Ogden for an appointment right before lunch. Thinking ahead I put my bike on the car, hoping the weather would cooperate. Most of my bike time is spent on the country roads that wind through the Ogden and Morgan Valley’s so I’m not very familiar with the biking options in the lower valley. I decided to take a spin along the Weber River Parkway that winds through Riverdale City. What a grand surprise!

With the exception of a few groves of aspen the mountains have shed their color, but to my delight the parkway was enchanting. The cottonwood trees are still awash with the yellow shades of autumn, just now beginning to shed their leaves. The path hugs the river for several miles and you would never know that a bustling city was right next door.
While cruising the trail I discovered a small BMX park next to the Riverdale City Complex. A Frisbee golf course was busy with lots of play. There were walkers, joggers, and bikers enjoying the day and also a nature trail tucked into a wooded area. There are several trailheads that access the parkway and each is well maintained with nice restroom facilities. The paved surface is in excellent condition with a few sections of brand new trail.

So how was this biking experience like hiking? First, the trail is bordered on both sides by towering trees reminding me of the Indian Trail. Second, in several places the fallen leaves had piled up, completely covering the hard surface. As I rode through these sections I heard that crisp crunch I love, but it was under my bike tires instead of my hiking boots. It was a wonderful way to spend a lunch hour.

Get there quick as the weather experts are predicting another taste of winter by Tuesday! You can find more details about the Weber River Parkway at http://www.weberpathways.org/. \




No comments:

Post a Comment